[08.) BLOG POST: REVERSE ENGINEERED OBJECT: PROGRESS I]

 I ended up picking the Arduino UNO to disassemble and reproduce in 3d!

Poor thing.

But it's for a good cause!

Once I have this accurately reproduced in 3d to 0.1mm accuracy I'll have a  solid accurate reference foundation for future special projects - for example, designing and 3d printing accurate chassis for various special projects.

For this progress blog I focused on that acrylic top plate with all the fiddly angles and measurements. Learned a lot about accurate measuring in this - I was fortunate enough to be able to rotate and flip this top  plate to double and triple check the accuracy. Also learned to double check I'm accurately zero'd out, as that button can sometimes be accidentally be pressed in the midst of recording things.


 
 Some organizational tips I figured out as I was doing this so I don't get overwhelmed - USE LAYERS. At least three - I have one layer I use for the base curves I'll extrude later on for 3d. A second layer for accurate measurements from 'Linear Dimension' from this menu


Linear Dimension is the blue layer here, those numbers with arrows coming out either side - super useful when I want to both check and keep track of numbers, and various scales and sizes and proportions. 
The third layer I'm using, the red, are just reference lines, nothing that I'll keep or will show up in the deliverable. Measuring point to point allows me to get accurate reference lines for where a line or a corner might start in the interior of a shape, or might be an extrusion between shapes, or to accurately mark a very small space between two curves. 


Really looking forward to getting to the final finishing touches. Just put some music on and get into the flow state of measuring and recording and rechecking and troubleshooting. I enjoyed this more than I expected to, and I expected to enjoy it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOG POST: REVERSE ENGINEERED OBJECT: HD Renders and Exploded View]

Surface Design Study: Research Design